President Barack Obama, Snooki, Sen. Minority Leader John Boehner, BP ceo Tony Hayward, and costume jewelry designer Kenneth Jay Lane make the list of the Stupidest Things Ever Said in 2010 winners.
The Stupidest Things Ever Said awards – selected by verbal gaffe experts Ross and Kathryn Petras, the compilers of the best-selling annual Page-A-Day calendar The 365 Stupidest Things Ever Said (now in its 17th year) – are given in 11 different categories celebrating the stupidest things said, printed, broadcast or otherwise disseminated in the current calendar year.
And the 2010 winners are . . .
- The Stupidest Most Unexpected Press Release Header of the Year Award
How Justin Bieber and horse semen are helping charities
– headline on a press release sent to Entertainment Weekly
- The Stupidest Athletic Explanation of the Year Award
On the field they don’t speak because they’re not positive they know what they know what they think they know they know.
– Chicago Bears Offensive Line Coach Mike Tice
- The Stupidest Compassionate CEO Award of the Year Award
We’re sorry for the massive disruption it’s caused their lives. There’s no one who wants this over more than I do. I would like my life back.
—BP ceo Tony Hayward on the Gulf of Mexico oil spill disaster
- The Stupidest Pretentious, Pompous Popinjay of the Year Award
I think it‛s impossible to live in a room which isn‛t at least 13 feet high. Don‛t you?
– jewelry designer Kenneth Jay Lane in an interview in which he showed off his apartment
- The Stupidest Presidential Wisdom Award of the Year, Historic Perspective Division
The Middle East is obviously an issue that has plagued the region for centuries.
– President Barack Obama (video here)
- The Stupidest New Word Creation of the Year Award
Ground Zero Mosque supporters: doesn’t it stab you in the heart, as it does ours throughout the heartland? Peaceful Muslims, pls refudiate.
—politician Sarah Palin in a tweet about plans to build an Islamic community center near Ground Zero
- The Stupidest Metaphor of the Year Award, Salami Division
Jihad is the knife slicing the salami of freedom
– Danish “anti-Islamization” activist Anders Gravers
- The Stupidest, yet Most Necessary, Blog Correction of the Year Award
This blog post originally stated that one in three black men who have sex with me is HIV positive. In fact, the statistic applies to black men who have sex with men.
– correction posted on a TBD blog
- The Stupidest Congressional Wisdom Award of the Year, Geographic Division
My fear is that the whole island will become so overly populated that it will tip over and capsize.
—Rep. Hank Johnson (D-Ga.) expressing concern during a congressional hearing that the presence of a large number of American soldiers might upend the island of Guam (video here)
- The Stupidest Department of Redundancy Department Award of the Year
- The only way to get our economy going again and solve our budget problems is to get the economy moving.
– Sen. Minority Leader John Boehner on Meet the Press (video here)
- The Stupidest Volcano Knowledge Award of the Year
How can you get a volcano in Iceland? When you think of volcanoes you think of Hawaii, or long words like that. You don’t think of Iceland. It’s too cold to have a volcano there.
– CNN anchor Rick Sanchez during a broadcast (video here)
- The Stupidest Excuse for Hiring a Male Prostitute of the Year Award I had surgery and I can’t lift luggage. That’s why I hired him.
—anti-gay crusader and co-founder of the Family Research Council Rev. George Rekers, after being caught in the Miami airport returning from a ten-day trip to Europe with a hired male prostitute
- The Stupidest Gender Identification Problem of the Year Award
I am not a man of faith, but my wife is.
– British deputy prime minister Nick Clegg
- The Stupidest Most Annoying Hollywood Intellectual of the Year Award
It took all my semiotic Lacanian deconstructivist saturation and torqued it.
– film director Kathryn Bigelow
- The Stupidest Historically Sensitive Celebrity of the Year Award
I feel like a pilgrim from the f*cking ’20s washing this sh*t in the sink
– Jersey Shore reality star Snooki (video here)
- The Stupidest Inadvertently Suggestive Headline of the Year Award
Tired Gay succumbs to Dix in 200 meters
— headline, Reuters
225 varick street, new york, ny 10014
p: 212-614-5634 | f: 212-475-5074
OR Kathryn & Ross Petras e-mail: email@example.com